The Church of No Preference

A religion evolved from a line on an Army dog tag.

Friday, March 31, 2006

A Picture is Worth...

There is an expression that says that a picture is worth a thousand words. So I've uploaded the above picture from a NASA site and now I'm wondering if this particular picture is actually worth a thousand words. The expression isn't specific whether ALL pictures have the thousand word worthiness, or if only some pictures get that rating. I also wonder does a picture have to stop at a thousand words or can a person continue past that milestone for many more words, bonus words you might call them.

When I grabbed this photo I made sure NOT to find out what this picture is. That way I have to come up with one thousand words to describe it. One thousand words, that is alot of words. This is going to take awhile. How many words do I have so far? Wait a second, I'll count them. OK, the count is exactly 152. That's more words than I expected. Good, this is going better than I thought it would.

Looking at the picture, I'm very amazed at the blurry colors emanating off the object into space. Wow! It's beautiful. I wonder if the object is a planet. In fact I wonder if the object is the planet Earth using a special optical lens possibly from the Hubble telescope. But, I just plain don't know the circumstance behind the picture.

It sure seems like a planet, could it be an outer planet, maybe Uranus? Again, with a different lens. Hold on second, I'm giggling because of the word Uranus. You know when I was growing up the planet was pronounced, your anus. Now they pronounce it, yur a ness. Just too many jokes in science class, I guess. But, I digress.

It could be Neptune, named after a God. And so were the other planets, all except Earth. I wonder why that is? I guess people looked up at the planets and thought they were Gods. I've always thought that was so odd. Gods? These things in the night sky? Everyone knows you can't see God. But back a couple of thousand years ago, the planets were the Gods. Is the above picture a picture of God?

I must interrupt this for a brief moment as I'm watching a rerun of last nights The Colbert Report on Comedy Central and during his comic bit called Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger a graphic displayed a space scene photo and it was refered to as God. What is so interesting to me is that I used the very same photo in my first post on this blog. Isn't that so cool? In fact I asked directly under my post picture, "Could this be the God of The Church of No Preference?" So, both Colbert and I used the same photo and referenced God to that photo.

Now I have to wonder if The Colbert Report have read my blog or was it a case of simple coincidence? Maybe synchronicity or a miracle? But it certainly is weird. I guess that photo is better than the photo I'm writing a thousand words about. It must be because that photo makes people think of God.

I also think of God for the picture at the top. People say that such beauty can only come from God. On the other hand maybe God came from such beauty. God and science are trying to vie for the beginning of the universe, at least as humanity is trying to interpret things. The usual idea is that God created the universe, but I've often wonder whether the universe created God. To ancient people who thought that the planets were Gods, then without really knowing it they were believing that the universe created the Gods.

As I continue to write, in the back of my mind I keep wondering how many words I've written. As that thought flits through my brain, it starts to fester. How many words have I written? Count them now. Well, I could just keep writing and adding to the total, as I'm doing right now. But then that festering thought pops back in. How many words? Count them. No, write some more. No, count them. OK, OK, I'll count them. Hold on a second.

Wow! More than I thought. Guess how many? Go ahead take a shot. The total is 711. But that didn't count the ones in this paragraph, which would now make 742, including the number 742. But hold on, there were four more words added after the number 742 to make 746. But geez, I wrote another sentence explaining all that. Hold on I'll count that sentence and this sentence as well...783.

Well I'm almost finished, at least I'm much closer to a thousand words. I've only got to write, um, let's see, 191 words as of right NOW. The word "now" left me with 191 words, and to explain that I've written more words. Good, I'm getting closer word by word, sentence by sentence.

I should mention that I really do believe that the picture is worth a thousand words, but probably not my words. Somebody better able to put a decent theme together would be better adept at applying a worthy set of a thousand words towards the picture. As I get closer to a thousand words, I find that it is neccesary to count the words as I type, which makes typing more complicated in my mind. Thinking numbers and trying to think of words at the same time is rather confusing. I'm surprised I'm even spelling them correctly.

You know this is getting exciting closing in on a thousand words. It seems so right, so ordered. It has a thrilling feel, like a race being finished. At the same time it is excruciating because I must have exactly one thousand words. This is soooo tense, down to the wire, call it a PHOTO finish? Well, thank God, I've just written and you've just read 1,000 words!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home